Friday, January 3, 2014

Grampie Ahlquist

One really, really great perk of being back in Maine is that I will, after 22 years away, be able to reconnect with family here.  Life has been such a whirlwind of late, and winter (in case you haven't heard) has given us such a run for our money this year that we haven't managed to make the 5 hour trip to visit the Ahlquist clan in southern Maine.  That all changed when my Dad called to inform me that my Grampa Ahlquist had pneumonia and wasn't doing well.

So, Annabel, Thane and I packed into the truck and headed south.  The kids have never met their great grandfather, something we needed to remedy quickly.  We arrived late Saturday morning and had a good visit with Grampie, Uncle Dale & Aunt Bonnie (whom I hadn't seen in years).
Later, my cousin Lizzie agreed to babysit the kids so I could get a little shopping in, including a late night visit to L.L. Bean with my Aunt Judy.  The kids ADORED Lizzie - and how!
The next morning, we had a special treat when we got to visit with my Great Uncle Leon and Aunt Ann, who own 14 miniature horses.  The kids were enthralled and already have just such a horse on next year's Christmas list.
I'm so grateful that we were able to get down there, as my grandfather died 2 days later.  He died peacefully in his sleep at the age of 91 (almost 92).  He was surrounded by children and grandchildren.  Looks like it was blessings all around.
Rest in sweet peace, Grandpa.  Give Gramma a big hug for us.  We all look forward to the day when we can be together again.  Love you!

2 comments:

Kathy Marsman said...

What a beautiful picture of you and your Grandpa. So glad you could see him one last time.

Aunt Kathy

probhita said...

That is so awesome! Great Grandpa looks so handsome and his gorgeous granddaughter sure does him justice!!