Monday, April 30, 2012

The Oregon Trail


With a lack of babysitting services last weekend (Jordan's Mom had the week off and my Mom was out of town), Jordan and I decided that it would be the perfect time to visit some friends in Oregon.  We packed our bags, cleaned the house, got rid of food in the fridge and got as much stuffed into the car as we possibly could Wednesday night, in anticipation of an early start Thursday.  All was running smoothly - perhaps just a bit too smoothly...  Sure enough, Jordan woke up around 2:30am with a nasty stomach virus.  After several hours of misery, he finally passed out on the couch, and I started unpacking, all while trying to figure out what I was going to make for dinner the next few nights.  Being a die hard Lentz, however, Jordan woke up and rallied himself long enough to finish packing the car and slump into the front seat for the rest of the day.  Which meant that I was driving - a whole lotta fun for me and a whole lotta additional queasiness for Jordan. 

I love road trips, but I especially love road trips out west.  First of all, the scenery is stunning.  Second (and even more amazing) is the utter lack of traffic, which means that it's generally OK to notice the surrounding countryside without worrying about running someone off the road.  (And no, this woman driver has never even come close!)  While south central Washington was a bit monotonous in it's seemingly endless wheat fields, the views got beautiful fast once we hit the Columbia River, and then headed south into Oregon.  And, yes, that's Or-i-gen (not Or-e-gone). 
The kids did great, a marked improvement from the last road trip we took to Wyoming 18 months ago.  Of course, the portable DVD player certainly didn't hurt.  (The BEST $80 we ever spent!)  Thane actually smiled until the last hour of the trip, a major victory for the kid who hates being in his car seat even on our short jaunts into town.
Once in Prineville, OR, we had the most lovely visit with our dear friends, Bob & Judy Blair.  Bob & Judy were neighbors in Colville, and we have missed them terribly since they moved last year.  It's hard to believe that we fit in as many activities as we did in just two short days (fishing, hiking, sightseeing, antiquing, etc., etc.), and that, even more remarkably, we felt so refreshed and relaxed when we left.  (Anyone who knows the Blairs knows that wine time probably helped on that front!)
Overall, the kids were very well behaved, and they enjoyed both the Blairs and their dog Bingo.  The kids were loathe to leave, but I'm pretty sure that poor Bingo breathed a huge sigh of relief when we rolled out of the driveway!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot describe how much better my life would have been if portable DVD players had been available (or rather affordable) when me and Mike were kids, and had to make the thrice-yearly (if not more) round trip drive to Canada (do you know how long 11 hours is for a kid??). Definitely a smart purchase!

-Ardie

Jordan and Amy Lentz said...

Thanks Ardie! I kind of felt like a sell-out, but those thoughts were banished shortly after we left our home.

I can't imagine all of those trips to Canada! I used to feel a bit sorry for you, although I knew that you'd have fun once you got there.

It's always great to hear from you. I hope that all is well. Will you have the summer off?