Saturday, July 21, 2018

Reunited

After 10 long years, my bestie from college came to Maine for a brief visit with her husband (Adam) and children (Ria, 16; Brandon, 13).  Probhita and I were housemates at a dorm in Baltimore when she arrived during the 2nd semester of our freshman year.  Unbeknowst to her (and me!), I was ousted from my room during Christmas break and relocated to accommodate her (my original roommate was also from India and people felt that the two would be more comfortable together).  Hard feelings may have abounded for a bit, and initially our different personalities further drove us apart.  But during a time of crisis for us both, we found common ground in prayer and fellowship - and a meaningful lifelong friendship was forged.


The last time we saw each other, Ria was 6 and Brandon was almost 3.  Annabel was 6 months old, and Thane wasn't even a gleam in Jordan's eye.  Despite the distance and differences in age, these 4 became friends much quicker than their mothers did.

Ria & Annabel were definitely kindred spirits, and Brandon & Thane bonded over their love of hunting and fishing.

We enjoyed a wonderful 3 days exploring Downeast, including a frigid swim in the ice cold waters of the Atlantic where Brandon & Ria learned that they definitely prefer the warmer water of the Indian Ocean near their home in coastal Goa.

It was more wonderful to reconnect with this family than I could adequately express, and I suspect that a few more lifelong friendships have been made.

P.S.  I told you Maine is the BEST!

No comments: