Thursday, March 17, 2016

Community Blessings

Last Monday I had surgery.  Everything is fine - the surgery was elective, but it was something that has needed to be done for years.

As a result, I've had a lot of time to think while sitting on the couch recuperating.  I've watched some movies, read a few books, worked on some sewing projects and developed my spring cleaning strategy (it's amazing how many cobwebs & dust you notice when you are home during these sunny spring days!)

But more importantly, I have come to realize how grateful I am for all of the love and support that we've received from the community over the past couple of weeks.  Many of the wonderful folks I work with have brought delicious meals to our home EVERY night since last Tuesday.  Other friends and family have sent baked goods, flowers, chocolate, wine and - drum roll, please - Starbucks!  Another set of friends took the day to drive me all the way to Bangor and back (175 miles round trip) for a follow up appointment.  There are days when I miss the big city, but it's times like this that remind me why we live way out here.  You just can't beat a small community's love & support.  It's hard to be on the receiving end, but I hope I remember when it's a neighbor's turn next.

In the meantime I am recovering on schedule and will phase back into work next week.  I won't miss my couch, but cooking Monday night's dinner is going to be a big old reality check.

Be well!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Talked to my mom and she told me about your surgery. I heard it could be painful, so I hope you are doing okay. Something I considered but never did. If I were closer, I would bring you a meal too. hahaha Get better !!

Aunt Kathy