Saturday, June 6, 2015

Close Encounters of the Bug Kind

While cleaning a couple of days ago, I suddenly noticed THIS unsightly creature hanging on my tv cabinet.  I was thoroughly grossed out, and by the looks of its trembling, I don't think that it was super thrilled to see me either.  I almost killed it, but was delayed by a phone call.
 
It wasn't until I returned that I noticed an empty cocoon on the shelf.  Vaguely I remembered that the kids found a cocoon on the garage last fall, and we brought it inside when it didn't appear to hatch.  It's been sitting on the cabinet with an empty wasp nest all winter.
We were fascinated and watched as the bug carefully dried up and unfurled its wings, an endeavor that took most of the afternoon and evening. We were most disappointed the next morning when the moth appeared to have flown away.  (Truth be told, I was more interested in WHERE it had flown!)  Not to worry, it had only flown to the other side of the cabinet.
It even spread its wings so we could see it in its full glory. The kids want to name the moth and keep it as a pet.  Hmmm....

No comments: