Friday, July 5, 2013

Birthday Bliss

I figured that you might want a break from all of the house photos, so I thought that I would showcase some REAL works of art.  As I posted awhile back, I recently had my 40th birthday.  I don't feel 40, and I certainly don't look 40 (nod your head "YES" in agreement - thank you very much!)  But I AM 40, and I got some very special gifts for reaching this age with my sanity more or less intact.  (Again, nod "YES").

First, I got to go on a trip to California with some high school friends who also celebrated turning four decades old.  Next, Jordan's parents gave me some money to spend at Farm Chicks, the highlight of my shopping year!  Then, my parents gave me the following:

If you read my last post, you can probably guess what this is.  Yes, my Mom made me another wonderful needlepoint picture, this time of Thane.  I truly cherish this and the other embroideries I've been gifted over the years.  There is so much hard work and love involved in making them!

One of my co-workers at the gift shop in town is an artist, and she made me a set of notecards that she sketched, knowing my love of all things Scottish.  I wish I had a fraction of her talent:
Then my friend Jenny (who lives up the road) made me a place to put my jewelry.  I especially love the wine cork knobs for hanging necklaces and bracelets - a much neater solution than the intertwined ball of jewelry stuffed into my old box!  I'm supposed to put earrings in the burlap piece in the middle, but I haven't gotten quite that far yet...
The last picture below highlights something that wasn't given to me.  Rather, it shows an incredibly gracious gift to the kids.  Jordan's folks' neighbors (Jack and Dara) have always taken a shine to Annabel and Thane.  The feeling has become mutual.  A few months ago, Jack invited us up to his place.  Once there, he gave the kids a mandolin that he had spent over two years meticulously crafting in the tight little trailer he calls home.  The detailing is just gorgeous, and the kids enjoy making "music" when we allow them to play it.  We're hoping that we'll be able to find someone to teach the kids how to really enjoy this special instrument in our new home.

No comments: