Friday, November 18, 2011

Butchering

We got snow last night and the temperature is currently hovering around 28.  It sure does feel like winter has officially arrived, despite what the calendar says!  I shouldn't be so surprised, however, as we are finishing up our fall chores.  I canned pumpkin with Jordan's mom yesterday (43 pints in all), and I'm planning on cooking up a triple batch of cranberry rum sauce tomorrow.

As much space as all of the canning equipment takes in my kitchen, that's nothing compared to the mess we make butchering our animals.  This year, we had to carve meat from two pigs, two lambs, two geese, and numerous chickens.  During this season of slaughter, my kitchen looks like a war zone!  Meat and by-products cover every square inch of space, and let's just say that it's a good thing that nobody stops by the house for an unexpected visit.  I'm sure they would be horrified at the site!

Despite the mess, we are grateful for lots of delicious meat.  Knowing that our meat comes from happy, healthy animals is great, but that farm fresh taste is even better.  Come by for a visit - we'd be happy to share!  Just look at those hams...



1 comment:

Kathy Marsman said...

Just ordered a pig for my freezer. We get it from a friend of ours. Luckily, we don't have to butcher or cut it up. But home grown is sooooo much better.

Aunt Kathy