Friday, August 22, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!




It's no secret that the wild northwest is still a refuge for many animals. On a daily basis we see deer, flocks of wild turkeys, eagles, and a wide variety of smaller animals. We hear coyotes howling almost every night, and we sometimes hear owls. Occasionally we even see more rare animals. For instance, we sighted this moose on the way home from Spokane.

There are also the not-quite-so-welcome animals, like the small pack of wolves that we spotted crossing the road on our way home one night last week. Oh yes, there was also the baby rattlesnake that almost bit us while we were walking around the house a few days ago. I've since been brushing up on my wilderness medicine (Tom Kirsch would be proud), and have been told that getting an electric shock is supposed to help slow down the effects of the poison. Some neighbors have happily volunteered their electric horse fence in case of an emergency, although we're not sure if this was offered in the spirit of community or if this would be their subtle way of getting back at us for all of the early morning construction noise! There is a small hospital in town, so help is only a short ride away. Don't worry though - it's not as bad as it sounds, really! Rattlesnakes are very rare in this area, and the neighbors are all on the hunt. Still, I've informed Jordan that I want to see a few dead snakes before we move in!! (Sorry - we don't have any photos of the elusive snake - we were too busy trying to beat it senseless with a shovel before it hid under the stone pile!) I'll be sure to let you all know when this repulsive reptile meets its demise.

3 comments:

The Galvin Family said...

Ooooh, I can't help but giggle...kill the snake, kill the snaaake! (to the tune of "kill the wabbit"). I'm sure I would have been vigorously beating the thing with a shovel myself if it had been me! Good luck...hope you find it and....well, you know! Glad to hear things are going well, we miss you!

Becky said...

oh dear. you'll have to start carrying a handgun so you can shoot the frigin thing...(bullets are faster than shovels)...hehehe

ant sandy said...

Thank God I didn't see the snake...everyone would have heard me all the way back to Minnesota! I love your house!! It looks beautiful. but please kill the snake!!